CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Question of the Day…

What are your favorite books and why? What puts them at the top of the list for you? Is it the characters, a character that you wish you could be or who's actions make you think, "wow, that's exactly how I would deal with the situation." Maybe it's the plot … you're that person who is interested in a really good spy/intrigue plot that has a create twist ending. Is it how the book is written and by that it I mean, you look at it and say things like, "what a great choice of words to describe…" or "the authors ability to write stream of conscience is incredible." Could it be the "moral" of the book? Is it that you have to work hard to read it, or on the opposite end, that it's an easy read? What makes you like the books you like?

For me, I'm partly ashamed to admit this, but one of the top things that are important to me is genre. I like Fantasy. I like reading it and I like writing it, so that is really important to me. I like a good character, someone I can relate with and understand their motivation. I like books that hit me hard at the end and by this I mean that I feel like cheering or crying because of the climatic event the book has been written around. I like good dialogue versus good exposition and description.

So you tell me – what are your favorite books and why?

5 comments:

Colleen said...

I am like you. I like my Fantasy, but I have been branching out a bit and have learned to appreciate historical fiction and mysteries. I have a lot of favorites, but mainly I like Ender's game, Fablehaven, and recently the Stephanie Meyer Twighlight series. I love books that grab you and draw you so far into their story that you think about them day and night. I had some pretty weird dreams when I was reading Stephanie Meyer's books.

Colleen said...

Josh, I just had to also mention that I am reading another of Salman Rushdie's books. I think you were the one who had me read him the first time - Midnight's Children? I am now reading The Enchantress of Florence.

Crystal Valentine Garner said...

Looks like I'm not the only one to be struck by the Twilight dreams. I honestly think I've had at least one Vampire related dream a night since I read the books over a week ago.
As you already know, I'm not much of a reader so I can't really aswer your question and do it justice. I will just say that I was surprised how much I loved the Twilight Series and it's a good thing real vampires don't exist cuz if I ever met an Edward..well, our marriage could be tested! Ha Ha!
Love you!

Unknown said...

This is a very big question.

1. Favorite books:

Number the Stars
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Twilight
Nights in Rodanthe (Or really any other Nicholas Sparks)
And Then There Were None

2. So what do they all have that attract me...

I think easy reads appeal to me. I think hard at work and in life, I think of reading as a place to escape to.

The ability of the author to develop the characters is very important to me. If I haven't fallen into a deep connection with the main character by the end of the first chapter I usually will stop reading. I don't have to be like the main character but I have to care for them and what they are going to do. I want to route for them to win, to fall in love, to escape tragedy, or figure out the puzzle.

I don't read only one genre, but if I were to pick on it would be fiction with romance. Not harlequin romance, but light romance. I am a hopeless romantic and can relate best to that. I also enjoy the creativity of fantasy novels. I like pondering how someone could invent a place or a thought that never crossed my mind. It is amazing to me. I used to read alot of mysteries and liked the thrill of trying to solve the puzzle along with the detective, I read mostly Agatha Christie novels. And lastly, books about WWII interest me. I have a hard time reading these alot because it pains me to think of the things these individuals and families went through, but to learn that survival can happen through the worst is triumphant.

Grammar, language, and other elements or writing pass me by. It could flip through tenses or misspell words and I would still read the book if it were interesting enough. So I know that element isn't what makes my favorite books.

I think I have rambled on enough...but I have one last thing for Crystal and Colleen. I have also had Twilight dreams. Aren't those fun. I even woke up one night when KC and I were dating and told him that if he thought he was so fast, then why don't he just run home (I had just come out of one of the dreams and thought KC was a vampire.)

Anonymous said...

I thought of a few more. To Kill a Mockingbird, Rebecca, Lord of the Flies. There was a story I read in Jr High that I still remember called the Scarlett Ibis. A book I read in the 70's called The Women's Room. East of Eden, Old Man and The Sea and of course how could I forget Dandylion Wine. Gone With the Wind was pretty good as was Toni Morrisons Beloved. Well I probably will think of more.
Terri

 
Site Meter