CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Imagined Moments

I thought I should come up with something to help my writing-fu and this is it. Imagined Moments. It just a writing exercise that is based on the idea of coming up with a small scene that tells a little a little story. Anyone who wants to add their own to the comments … feel free. I will probably post one ever couple of days.


Imagined Moments #1

He sat on a bench in the middle of the mall, people walking by him on each side, head down and tears streaming down his cheeks. He was in his sixties or seventies, his grey hair only thin wisps on top of his head. His skin was a leathery brown, freckled and spotted with age. He must have been a man who had spent most of his life out in the open, I thought to myself as I stood there with my two year old daughter in my arms, waiting for my wife to come out of the store. He wore plain brown slacks and a short sleeved faded canary yellow button shirt, clothes that I assumed he had been wearing for the last thirty years

The older man looked down at his hand, watching as the tears fell from his face to land on his palm, then slowly he looked up and our eyes caught each others. We looked at each other for only a few seconds.

I could feel his sadness, it was tangible, a thickness in the air as we stood staring at each other. Perhaps it was only my imagination but my daughter squirmed in my arms as if she could feel it as well.

I moved to go speak with him, but as I took a step, the older man stood up from the bench, turned and disappeared into the crowd of shoppers.

"Okay let's go," I heard my wife say as she walked up next to me.

I paused trying to see if I could find him and then said, "Okay."

1 comments:

Terri said...

I continued down the mall, my daughter in my arms my wife by my side. I noticed the old man was ahead of me the back of his head just visiable. As we drew closer I saw the grief was still on his face. I felt I should do something to ease his pain. As I started to approach him a young woman holding the arm of an elderly woman came towards the old man. A smile appeared on his face hiding his sorrow. I heard him say to the old woman. My honey, how has your day of shopping been? The old woman turned to him a puzzled look on her face, she said Do I know you sir? The smile on the old man,s face faltered for a moment but then some inner strength brought it back as he replied. Yes Linney we are old friends. As they shuffled off I hugged my wife and daughter close.

 
Site Meter